14 March 2006

Day Twelve

There’s a new species on my hit list: Passer domesticus, better known as the House Sparrow. As with so many things, I believe I have the British to thank for introducing them to Africa. The eaves of our house are perfect for the stupid things to roost in, and they make a hellacious amount of noise in the morning. The second you turn your back after chasing them away, they’re right back at the window chirping their heads off. After waking up and eating breakfast at 5:30 in the morning all I want to do is get a few more hours of sleep before work. But the resident house sparrows always seem to have something else in mind.

I brought enough work home from the Centre yesterday to last me all day, but I took a (long) break this morning to do some research on Dar es Salaam. Most people view the city as a place to conduct commerce or, if you’re a mzungu, a place with an airport where you stay a night before going to Zanzibar or on safari. However, I’m convinced that the largest city in the country has more to offer than just hotels. So after my research I’ve produced a few places that should occupy a Saturday or two but not as much as I'd hope. Maybe this really is a city and nothing more.

-----

This evening, Mrs. Sabet, May, and I went to the University of Dar es Salaam for a devotional being held by one of the students, Oliva. Two of her friends were in attendance, and I was able to chat with them a bit. They’re studying urban planning, which is something that Dar sorely needs. I don’t think they’ve got a Master Plan for this place at all. I guess the British or the Nyerere government or someone paved the roads a few decades ago, but now they’ve all deteriorated into just dirt lanes. And they’re just now installing a main sewage system for the city! They claimed that no one knew that the city would grow to this size and overwhelm the current sewer system, but give me a break! How many cities don’t grow? Especially the largest one in the country!

After the devotional, we went to Sea Cliff to the supermarket to buy some bread, although we left with about 20 things. I’m currently enjoying a Cherry Coke and Snickers, all of which cost me only $2.50. It’s ridiculously priced but it’s nice to treat yourself to a luxury every once in awhile. Besides, I don’t have much of anything else to spend my money on. So far, Mrs. Sabet has been insistent on paying for mostly everything except only a few personal things that I insist on paying for. Hopefully I’ll be able to buy my own toothpaste at least!

This evening at dinner, May, the Sabets’ daughter, told me that I was the first male guest that she’s actually liked. It has been difficult to adjust to her, but over the past few days I think I’ve really put effort into it. Not only am I not accustomed to children, but she has been fortunate enough to have lived a very privileged life thus far. She is bright, outspoken, and opinionated. She is highly praised both at home and at school for her intelligence, and I think all of these things have had an...hmm…impact, shall we say, on her development that has made it particularly difficult for me to handle her at times. Nevertheless, it was a nice thing of her to say and it’s helped to diffuse some of my bottled up words and emotions.

A note to myself is to write about the local perception of Americans tomorrow. It’s a really interesting thing.

2 comments:

Miss B said...

I am so happy to hear that you and May are warming up to each other! :)

Anonymous said...

Bryan, how about some pics of your supermarket and/other places where you shop?